To understand more about the behaviours of mental health stigma and shame, read See Change’s Let’s Talk About Mental Illness guide: www.seechange.ie/publications/
See Change is Ireland’s national programme dedicated to ending mental health stigma and discrimination. Its work is informed by people with lived experiences of mental health difficulties, including its 50+ trained Ambassadors, who share their stories to challenge mental health stigma and discrimination.
Across the country, See Change works with its Ambassadors, partners and workplaces to debunk the myths and misconceptions about living with a mental health difficulty.
After reading See Change’s Let’s Talk About Mental Illness Guide you will be able to:
• Identify some of the different types of mental illnesses
• Know the difference between mental health difficulties and mental illnesses
• Understand how mental health stigma, shame and discrimination can negatively
impact people with mental illnesses
• Have a better understanding about what it is like to live with a mental illness
• Know what steps you can take to help end mental health stigma and
discrimination and reduce the shame associated with mental illnesses